Starter Notebook requirements.txt Errors

The starter notebook has errors with its requirements.txt. I’m running the notebook in vscode on a 3.10.13 kernel on macos arm. I created the virtual environment using pyenv and ran pyenv local [my_environment_name] within the start-notebook directory, and made sure my notebook’s kernel on vscode is using the pyenv virtual env I created. First, there are many packages like torch missing that should be added to the requirements because it’s used heavily in the notebook. Second there is an inclusion of the json package but that just throws an error because it doesn’t exist in the packages registry because it’s already part of the standard packages. Finally, and this may just be specific to my environment setup, but when I run the cell that installs the requirements.txt packages it just doesn’t actually install anything:

matplotlib
numpy
scikit-image
json
# ONLY RUN THIS CELL ONCE
!python --version
!pip --version
!pip install -r requirements.txt
Python 3.10.13
pip 24.0 from /Users/[my_user_name]/.pyenv/versions/3.10.13/envs/[my_environment_name]/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pip (python 3.10)
Collecting matplotlib (from -r requirements.txt (line 1))
  Using cached matplotlib-3.8.4-cp310-cp310-macosx_11_0_arm64.whl.metadata (5.8 kB)
Collecting numpy (from -r requirements.txt (line 2))
  Using cached numpy-1.26.4-cp310-cp310-macosx_11_0_arm64.whl.metadata (61 kB)
Collecting scikit-image (from -r requirements.txt (line 3))
  Using cached scikit_image-0.22.0-cp310-cp310-macosx_12_0_arm64.whl.metadata (13 kB)
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement json (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for json

Hi @kvelaz. Thank you for alerting us to these issues. We will make adjustments to the requirements.txt file on the GitHub Repo.

Onward Team

That’s great to hear. Do you guys have an ETA on when those changes will be available?

Hi @kvelaz. Changes have been made on Challenge Repo.

Onward Team